WELCOME TO THE 3rd DISCUSSION!
Hello everyone! I finally finished Emma two days ago and let me just tell ya … it was a super amusing book to read (but mostly listen to!). I couldn’t help laughing throughout the whole book at all of the characters. I realized that there is SOOOOO much more dialogue in Emma than in the other two books we’ve read so far. Maybe because it’s just Ms. Bates going on and on and on and on and on and on.
And on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on….
Okay. I’ll stop 🙂
- Do you like Emma? Is it necessary to like the heroine to appreciate the character or the novel?
- Two characters, Mrs. Elton and Frank Churchill, come into Highbury from the outside and threaten the little community with change. Mr. Knightley likes neither of them. How do you feel about them?
- Do you think that Emma would “realize” that she was in love with Knightley still if Harriet hadn’t brought up the fact that she was in love with him first?
- Early in the book, Emma tells Harriet she doesn’t plan to marry. But the other women all embody, in one way or another, the serious economic consequences of staying single. The book is filled with women at risk. Discuss: Miss Bates, Jane Fairfax, Mrs. Elton, Harriet Smith, Miss Taylor.
- Do you think that Emma and Knightley will “last” as a couple together? Explain your reasoning. How well do you think they fit/don’t fit together?
- If you were to choose a man from this novel to court, who would you pick? Age aside, who’s personality and character would you like the most, enough to court them?
- Tell us some random thoughts you had while going through this book. What’s your favorite adaptation of this novel?
- We’ve all read (and most of us think) that people dislike Emma a lot. Is there something that you like about Emma? Did you still enjoy the book? If Emma were different in this novel, would you like it more?
- How did you like Emma in comparison to the other two books we’ve read so far?
- Who was your favorite match in the book? Your least favorite? What about least suited? Most suited? Explain!!
- What did you think about this business about Emma’s harsh words directed to Ms. Bates on their outing?
You may answer as many questions as you like or just run with your thoughts!
THANK YOU FOR JOINING ME ON ANOTHER MONTH OF JABBR! I’ll be sure to email you the next book along with the reading schedule and such tomorrow or Saturday! Happy reading and I’ll see you all again in May (hopefully!).