WELCOME TO THE 2nd DISCUSSION!
Forgive me again, I’ve been trying to keep up with work and I didn’t get around to posting the second discussion until now! Thank you so much for your patience and understanding, I really appreciate it. SO MUCH. 🙂
Thank you also for sticking out with me on the discussions! Maybe this weekend I’ll be able to get around to commenting and discussing WITH you guys finally haha. Have a wonderful rest of your day and week!!
- Mrs. Elton characterizes Emma as having “lived so secluded a life” (p. 235). Is there truth to her insult? Explain.
- Mrs. Elton officiously professes that she will help advance Jane Fairfax, to “bring her forward” (p. 241). How different is her motivation, if at all, from Emma’s vow to “improve” Harriet Smith?
- What does Mr. Weston mean when he says of Mrs. Churchill, “She was nobody when he married her, barely the daughter of a gentleman; but ever since her being turned into a Churchill, she has out-Churchilled them all . . .“ (p. 265). How might Mr. Weston’s description give a voice to Austen’s ideas about class?
- Why does Miss Bates talk so much? Compare and contrast two compulsive talkers—Miss Bates and Mrs. Elton.
- If each character were to have a theme song or favorite song, what do you think it would be?
- We are finally introduced to Frank Churchill. What do you think of him? Do you think he could be a match for Emma? Why/why not?
- Same question as #6 but for Jane Fairfax. What do you think of her?
- Do you think Emma is different in this volume than in the first one? How so? Do you think she really will ever change completely or learn?
- Did anything confuse you or you have questions about that you’d like to discuss here?
- Tell us your feelings about some of the other characters.
You may answer as many questions as you like or just run with your thoughts! Either way, I’m looking forward to reading what you thought of Volume 2!