WELCOME TO THE 3rd DISCUSSION!
I am completely bummed that Pride and Prejudice is over! This is only my second re-read but I feel like my love for this story has grown sufficiently to read it again every year. Do you ever re-read something again as constantly? I’d love to know if you do and what book(s)! Next week I’ve finally decided to post my reviews of Sense and Sensibility, and Pride and Prejudice on my blog. But they will really just be my string of thoughts about them and just fan-gushing about Jane and her lovely works.
Emma is up next in April so I hope that you are prepared to sink into another Austen classic! I will send off the schedule email for that VERY soon.
I wanted to do another live showing of Pride and Prejudice, like I did for Sense and Sensibility, but I don’t think that IG was the way to go about it. If you have any suggestions for me, feel free to send them over via email! I have borrowed 3 different versions of the P&P movie as well as the one that I own. 4 versions again! I just watched one last night and hope to watch one every night. It is SO fun for me to see the differences in films trying to depict this classic. Which is your favorite?
Anyways, I guess I should just get to the point with the discussion questions! Here you go!
- If Lady Catherine had not shown up at Longbourn, do you think Lizzy and Darcy would have still ended up together? Why/why not?
- Which characters change the most throughout the novel? Which ones remain static? Do you think there is significance in these two types of characters?
- How does Pemberley play a role in Elizabeth’s change of heart? Does she really fall in
love with Darcy after seeing his estate? Why is Darcy attracted to Elizabeth?
- Why do you think Austen might have used letters so often in this novel? What is the difference, for you as the reader, between reading it in third person narrative, or in letter form? (There are 59 references to letters in the book.)
- Which do you think is the better title, now that you have read the novel: Pride and Prejudice, or First Impressions? Does it relate to other characters in the novel (besides the obvious)?
- Who is the better parent…Mr. or Mrs. Bennet? What role does family play in this novel?
- Darcy says that Wickham tried to elope with Georgiana for revenge. Why does he run
away with Lydia (other than the obvious…)?
- Let’s imagine that the characters (or just the Bennet sisters, if you want) each have their own Facebook/Instagram/Twitter page. Who would be most active? Nonactive? What would a post from them look like? What would they share?
- Why is this novel so popular? Why do readers keep coming back to it, even after the
original suspense is gone and they know how it ends?
- Did you like this better than Sense and Sensibility? Was Sense and Sensibility better? Why do you think so? Have you found similarities/differences between S&S and P&P? In the characters? In the writing style? Etc.
- Tell us your concluding feelings about the characters.
I love it when you answer the questions above but I also love your string of thoughts after reading the current volume we are at! Anything goes. Thanks for participating for another month of JABBR, this journey is so much fun with you all!!!!
Comment away, or as Lady Catherine said…