Welcome to the 2nd Discussion!
I hope you are enjoying this much loved Austen classic! I know for many of you, this is your favorite out of all Austen’s books and I hope you are loving it still!
Well, without further ado, here are the questions!
- Why does Mrs. Gardiner caution Elizabeth about her romance with Mr. Wickham? Why does she provide this advice?
- What important insight into Mr. Wickham’s character can be inferred based upon his shift in affections from Elizabeth to Miss King?
- Why is Elizabeth able to exculpate Mr. Wickham’s wanting to marry for money but not Charlotte’s? What comment could Austen be making about the two sexes?
- How does Austen show that societal marriage restrictions were not only placed on women?
- How is Mr. Darcy’s marriage proposal similar and dissimilar to Mr. Collins’?
- What does Mr. Bennet’s rationale about Lydia’s safety in Brighton reveal about his concern for all his daughters?
- What might have happened if Elizabeth had accepted Darcy’s first proposal? Do you
think he really expected her to accept? How does the first proposal change their feelings
for, and opinions of, each other?
- What would the novel look like if written from Mr. Darcy’s point of view?
- Why is Elizabeth so anxious to distrust Mr. Darcy at the start of the novel, and to instead trust Mr. Wickham?
- How do Elizabeth Bennet’s ideas on marriage differ from her society’s? Which characters in the novel share Elizabeth’s views of marriage and which characters reflect society’s perspective?
- Tell us your feelings about the characters. Mr. Wickham? Darcy? Lizzy? Lydia? Jane? etc.
I love it when you answer the questions above but I also love your string of thoughts after reading the current volume we are at! Anything goes! Thanks for participating, this journey is so much fun with you all!!!!